Young Professionals Network
Young Professionals Network (YPN) of the Greater Metropolitan Association of Realtors (GMAR) is a group that helps young real estate professionals excel in their careers by giving them the tools and encouragement needed to grow in areas of leadership, networking, community, advocacy, and policy.
Build relationships that will improve your business, and have fun doing it! Members say this is their best network for making referral partners and friends.
How to Join
Go to facebook.com/groups/YPNGMAR and request to join. Only current GMAR members will be admitted.
The Facebook group is the primary means of communication with YPN GMAR members becasue members are already familiar and active with it, and it provides excellent two-way communication with rich media integration and a robust notification system.
Why should REALTORS® participate in YPN?
- Invitations to NAR-sponsored YPN events. YPN events are a fun way for members to meet other real estate professionals from around the country, build a referral network, and learn about new and free resources from the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®.
- Stay abreast of industry happenings. Through a lively blog, an information-packed website, and networking events, members stay in the loop on hot issues facing the real estate industry. YPN also has special educational sessions at REALTOR® conferences that address strategies for success in real estate.
- Have your own sounding board. Young professionals have unique challenges in real estate - and they also face challenges shared by all practitioners. By belonging to a network of peers who face similar issues, they can bounce ideas off of one another and provide support to each other.
- Get involved. Many people who are new to the industry want to get involved with their local, state, or national association of REALTORS®, but they either don't know how to go about it or they find it too intimidating. YPN encourages them to explore leadership opportunities across the board. Joint the YPN Committee »
A Brief History of YPN
- An idea is born. In 2006, REALTOR® Magazine sought to build off of the momentum of its popular "30 Under 30" feature, which recognizes rising stars in real estate. With so many young people joining the real estate business, the magazine wanted to help members of the new generation feel a closer tie to the magazine, to each other, and to the greater REALTOR® community.
- Our first event. During the 2006 REALTORS® Conference & Expo in New Orleans, REALTOR® Magazine invited "30 Under 30" honorees and other registered attendees to a networking reception for a fast-paced game of speed networking. The overwhelming response: Attendees wanted more of YPN! NAR has since held a networking party at every REALTORS® Conference & Expo.
- Online home created. In October 2007, REALTOR® Magazine created the YPN website as a way to share articles, resources, and links geared to the younger audience. NAR asked readers to identify themselves by submitting an online form. In less than a year, YPN had nearly 1,500 members participating and counting!
- Let the blogging begin. The "YPN Lounge" blog began in January 2008 as the "online meeting place" for young real estate professionals. About 20 young professionals regularly contribute, ensuring the blog is lively and well read.
- Events take off. YPN events, funded entirely by sponsors, consistently draw hundreds of REALTORS® and are booked to capacity - often requiring a waiting list for those who didn't RSVP fast enough. Needless to say, the events now have a reputation as the hottest party at REALTOR® conferences. NAR's 2008 President Dick Gaylord, while speaking at a Board of Directors meeting, referred to YPN as one of the most exciting events at the conference!
- YPN advisory board assembled. A team of 7 successful young professionals comprise the first YPN advisory board, formed in January 2008. The board meets semiannually, and also communicates via e-mail and conference call. The board recommends YPN educational sessions for conferences, provides insights to NAR leadership when requested, and offers overall direction for YPN activities.
- Educational sessions at convention. YPN sponsored its first education session at the 2008 REALTOR® Midyear Legislative Meetings: "Marketing Strategies That Work," featuring a panel of Gen Y and Gen X members. The standing-room-only crowd was proof that we should offer sessions at every conference. A YPN-track of suggested 6 sessions for young professionals was offered for the first time at the 2008 REALTOR® Conference & Expo.
- Awards & recognition. In 2008, YPN won a Folio Fame Award for its events and won two awards (Society of National Association Publications, and the American Society of Business Publication Editors) for its online community.
- Local Networks are formed. In 2009, YPN began to expand its network with local and state REALTOR® associations who used the YPN model to start their own young professionals network in their area. Local and state REALTOR® associations across the country have started to create their own networks. You can find the growing list of networks here.
- YPN Advisory Subcommittee. In May 2010, NAR’s Board of Directors approved the formation of the YPN Advisory Subcommittee which reports to NAR’s Communications Committee. It currently consists of 18 members serving staggered two year terms.
- The GREATER network is born. January 20, 2017, GMAR's very own YPN had it's first ever planning meeting to kick off the group!